Portuguese Commandos 55th Anniversary Watch 300m / 1000ft Water resistant in PVD Steel Case with Sapphire Crystal (Dated) Brand New but Not Running Maybe Just a Battery Failure
This watch is a COM/PT/G10PVD below is a full description of this particular watch and the issues which it has (or is reported to have because in many cases the watches do not have significant issues, below that is the full information relating to this model from the factory website which gives full details of all of the dimensions, specification and other information relating to the watch.
We buy these watches from various defence auctions and other disposal sales and it's frequently the case that we find that there is actually nothing wrong with the watch but it has to be assumed it will have some form of fault though in most cases it's very minor or as described below. These watches are disposed of at low-cost because we find that one of the problems is pressure of time for our service staff in the UK and elsewhere and in most cases they have given them a quick check over and nothing is immediately apparent though we have to assume that there is either no real fault with the watch or something will reveal itself over time in which case it’s normally a simple case of a service, repair or battery exchange depending on the exact model
Condition: Brand New Watch with plastic still on the crystal and caseback.
Fault: The watch is not running it could be simply a battery failure or worst case it might need a new Ronda 715li movement.
SKU Code: COM/PT/G10PVD
This watch is a special contract watch manufactured in 2017 for the 55th anniversary of the founding of the Portuguese commando regiment ( Regimento de Comandos) which is part of the Portuguese special forces and was founded in 1962. The Portuguese commandos are a component of the rapid reaction brigade and specialize in direct action, unconventional warfare, hostage rescue, and special operations. For further details see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandos_(Portugal) we only have three of these watches the remainder were delivered to the Regimento de Comandos in Portugal.
This watch is a slightly higher specification version of the MWC 300m / 1000ft water resistant G10 models in black PVD stainless steel, these watches have the highest water resistance rating of any G10 / General Service watch anywhere in the world. The watch has a highly scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and an incredible 10-year battery life. Although this G10/98 Specification watch like many of MWC's variants traces it's origins right back to their earliest G10 designs in the 1980s this model is totally updated and no other General Service watch currently in production can beat it's specification.
Currently, MWC is the only contractor producing NATO specification infantry watches which meet a water resistance rating of 300m / 1000ft as opposed to the standard 30m or 50m (99ft or 165ft) rating of other manufacturers. Whilst the screw-down crown and screw case back greatly improve the water-resistance the Ronda 715li movement with 10-year battery life significantly decreases the maintenance requirements of the watch. The watch has a sandblasted non reflective black case, sandblasting is a process which was historically used on a large number of military watches from other manufacturers and has not been widely employed since the 1990s, although more costly to manufacture than other steel finishes it offers the best non reflective characteristics and is vastly superior to both standard brushed or satin stainless steel cases.
When MWC secured a contract to produce this model it was specified alongside the requirements that it be covert that it has a screw caseback, 300m water resistance, sapphire crystal, and screw-down crown. The end result of all these improvements means that the specification of our 300m water resistant G10 watches is totally unique, low maintenance and highly durable.
The watch is supplied with a black NATO strap although we can supply a wide range of straps in other colors if you wish to purchase another option.
The back of the case bears various contract markings in addition to the unique serial number.
- Case Diameter: 40mm Excluding the crown
- Case Diameter: 42mm Including the crown
- Lug to Lug: 46mm
- Thickness: 13mm
- Weight: 66g
- Dial Color: Black
- Luminosity: Super Luminova
- Case Material: 316L Black PVD Stainless Steel
- Caseback: Screw-down, 316L Stainless Steel
- Crown: Screw Down 316L Black PVD Stainless Steel
- Water Resistance: 30atm (300m/1000ft)
- Battery: CR2016 Lithium - Estimated life 10 years
- Crystal: Sapphire *
- Movement: Ronda 715li with date window
- Strap: NATO issue strap 20mm
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% are usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.