MWC Classic 46mm Replica WW2 Japanese Kamikaze Pattern Military Aviators Watch with Automatic Movement - Ex Display Watch from the US Shot Show Reduced to Clear
SKU Code: KAMIKAZE
This Classic Kamikaze aviator watch is one of MWC's classic WW2 Pilot watch models. The full original name of the watch was Seikosha Tensoku (Seikosha is now known as Seiko) and this watch pays homage to the WW2 timepieces introduced in 1940 and used throughout the war. The watch uses a modern automatic Japanese movement made by the manufacturer of the original watches. These watches are very unique and look totally different to other military watches used in WW2. The original watches were not made solely for Kamikaze pilots but were used by the majority of pilots who flew the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, this aircraft was the primary Japanese fighter plane used in the Pacific air war. It was the Mitsubishi A6M Zero that was primarily used in the Kamikaze attacks against U.S carriers, but they were extensively employed in many other air operations as well. The Japanese text on the caseback 特別攻撃隊 translates as Special Attack Corps.
An original watch can be seen in the final two images. These original watches are now very rare and tend to command extremely high prices averaging €14,000/€22,000 in watch auctions - see these two examples https://www.uhren-muser.de/en/50240/seikosha-tensoku-doke-japan-deck-watch and https://www.phillips.com/detail/seikosha/CH080218/196 based on what we have been told they always exceed the estimated sale prices by a large margin.
The extra-large case size combined with the unique and stunning appearance makes this a very impressive timepiece that has considerable presence and tends to attract a lot of favorable comments, especially from other watch enthusiasts.
This model has a has a 41-hour power reserve when fully wound. and can also be handwound if required.
- Movement: Self Winding Japanese Seiko NH35A 21,600 BPH automatic 24 Jewel
- Diameter: 46 mm excluding the crown
- Thickness: 15 mm
- Dial: Black dial with white numbers and sweep second hand
- Case Material: 316L stainless steel
- Screw Down Crown
- Water Resistance: 100m / 330ft
- Strap: 24mm High-Quality Stitched Leather
- Crystal: Shatter resistant Sapphire with Non Reflective coating *
- Caseback: Stainless Steel with Engraving
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.